Your Byteflies Kit is allowing your doctor to record very detailed information about certain medical problems you may have. Your healthcare professional should have explained what you need to do. If not, or if you are not sure anymore, you can always consult this guide or contact them directly.
When you open the box, the first thing you’ll notice is the round device with one or more smaller devices sitting on top. The latter are your Sensor Dots, also known as “the brains of the operation”. They snap in and out of the larger round Docking Station magnetically so you can simply lift them up.
The Sensor Dot is the main wearable, which you carry around with you while it records data. Sensor Dots do not have any buttons, they only have an LED that provides status information.
In addition to one or more Sensor Dots, you should have received at least one type of Cradle and Adhesive to make a Sensor Patch. They both exist in various shapes and forms and depend on your use case. You can think of it as a box of Legos that your doctor has available to pick the best option for you. A Sensor Patch itself consists of at least 2 parts:
- The cradle has magnets that snugly fit a Sensor Dot and keep it in place.
- All adhesives have a skin-friendly side that can be applied to any external part of your body with undamaged skin. The other side is either also adhesive so it can be stuck to a Cradle, or it has snap buttons that can connect to other compatible components, which are explained below.
Six different cradles are available, depending on the type of data that needs to be recorded.
|Type||What is it for?|
|Motion Cradle||The simplest cradle that can be placed anywhere on the body to accurately measure motion and physical activity information.|
|2-snap Cradle||A cradle with two snap buttons which can connect to specific adhesives (see below).|
|4-Wire Cradle |
3-Snap Cradle right
3-Snap Cradle left
|A cradle that can be connected to certain electrodes produced by other companies or any type of Byteflies Adhesive. If you did not receive specific instructions from your healthcare provider on how to use this component, please contact them first before proceeding (see also below).|
If you received a 4-Wire Cradle, 4-Snap Cradle, 3-Snap Cradle right or 3-Snap Cradle left, your healthcare provider should have connected everything for you and walked you through the set up. In case one or more cables get disconnected, refer to the specific instructions they provided you with or contact support.
- Do not attempt to force a Sensor Dot into a cradle. The magnets only allow for one orientation.
- Do not place a Sensor Dot upside down into a cradle. The gold-colored pins should always face down.
A number of different skin adhesives are available. Some do nothing more than attach the Sensor Dot and Cradle securely to your skin. Others have important sensing capabilities.
|Type||What is it for?||Compatible with|
|Cradle Adhesive||A simple skin-friendly double-sided adhesive to attach a cradle to your skin.||Motion Cradle, 4-Wire Cradle, 4-Snap Cradle, 3-Snap Cradle right, 3-Snap Cradle left|
|ECG Adhesive||An adhesive that is meant to be placed on the chest to record cardiorespiratory signals.||2-Snap Cradle|
|EEG Adhesive||An adhesive that is meant to be placed behind the ear to record brain signals.||4-Snap Cradle, 3-Snap Cradle right, 3-Snap Cradle left|
Never apply any of the provided adhesives to injured skin. Adhesives should only be used on areas of intact external skin that are large enough to support the entire surface area of the adhesive.
If Sensor Dots are the brains of the operation, the Docking Station is the trusty companion. Once it is plugged in and connected to the internet (see next section), it will charge your Sensor Dots and transfer any downloaded data to your healthcare provider.
It comes with a USB cable and power plug:
- Only use your Byteflies Kit with the provided cable and power plug!
- Do not attempt to force the Sensor Dot into a slot on the Docking Station. The magnets only allow for one orientation.
- Do not place the Sensor Dot upside down into a slot on the Docking Station. The gold-colored pins should always face down.
- Do not submerge or rinse any component of your Byteflies Kit in water or any other liquid!
- Do not shower or bathe with a Sensor Dot!
Continue to the next section to learn more about how to make a recording and ensure your Sensor Dots keep humming along happily.